Thursday, February 24, 2011

Tea Bag Quilts Continued

With a collection of tea bags rolling in, I have kept on with my current surface design of using tea bags as a layer of interest to my mixed-media art quilts.  This latest one has butterflies as the theme.  I had an old library book that I salvaged from the trash about butterflies that I tore a page from, also some candy wrappers, buttons, beads, vintage linen, postage stamps, Shiva paintsticks, rayon thread and I even used some snow-dyed fabric from my last year's dyeing experiments.  All in all the iridescent quality of the silk Dupioni binding that is woven in one direction with orange and in the other direction with hot pink and I think it's not half bad.  Any suggestions and comments would be appreciated.



Dimensions 11" X 10"


I used some silk from my last project to roll and make fabric beads.  They remind me of the chrysalis that butterflies make on their milkweed temporary holds.


I'm grateful for my tea drinking friends.  More of these little projects since the ideas keep coming.

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Let's Get it Started!

Well, I've been thinking about starting a blog for over a year now and I have finally got the nerve to get started.  I hope to connect with other art quilters out there and get some comments and critiques from all of you artistic fabric hoarders.  I'm going to post images of my latest work - as I have come a long way in the 4 years that I have been dabbling in art quilting.  I would love to read your comments and suggestions.



Dimensions 12" X 18"

This is my first attempt at using tea bags as a surface for quilting.  I have a couple of friends and colleagues who are tea drinkers and agreed to save me their tea bags - these are true friends who will collect what they would rather throw away and give it to you.

I started with off white fabric and sewed several squares and rectangles of batik and commercial print off white tone on tone patterns.  I added the tea bags, some of which were run through a printer printed with copyright free images.  Some Shiva paintstick stenciling, candy wrappers, heated and painted Tyvek and vintage buttons and it was starting to come together.  Finally some stamps and quotes about birds and it felt finished.  I found a piece of Dupioni silk that was turquoise and lime and that added the hint of iridescence the piece needed.

Detail of the entire piece that includes printed tea bags, vintage buttons, oil paintstick stencil, candy wrapper, Tyvek, free-motion quilting and silk binding.

I'm off to the next piece of tea bag art!