Saturday, September 1, 2012

Scrapbooking Meets Quilting

This year my husband and I were fortunate to celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary.  We decided to  take a trip to someplace neither of us had ever been - Paris, France.  It was a wonderful 9 day trip and we took a ton of pictures.  I thought about printing them and making a scrapbook, then I looked at the scrapbooks of years past and realized that I hardly ever looked at them.  So, instead I decided to print the pictures on fabric and make a quilt to commemorate our trip and our anniversary.


The background and outside border are cotton batiks while the tower and inside border or black Kona cotton.  I used a background that was neutral with pale Fleur-de-Lis motifs and a border that was structural like the Eiffel Tower itself.

I free motion quilted it in swirls which just felt Parisian and wavy lines on the borders.  I then added vintage mother of pearl buttons on the corners to give it a  little bling that kept with my vintage sepia look.  That top picture was taken by an Italian tourist from Trocadero.

I used printable fabric and adjusted my pictures to 1 1/4 X 1 1/4 inches each.  I also made them in sepia tone because it made it look old - maybe older than the 25 years we have spent together but, that was the idea anyway.


Here is a close up that shows the quilting, the buttons, the pictures and the inside border.  The luster of the buttons really adds to the look of the finished piece.

Finally, here is the subtle fleur-de-lis batik that I just love.  I got it at Batiks, Etc.  I was very  happy when it arrived because the internet image was true to color.

So thanks for stopping by and checking out my work.  My advice to you is that if you ever get the chance to go to Paris - GO!  It is a beautiful city - and I am a country girl so that is saying something!

3 comments:

  1. What a brilliant idea! I love Paris, too, and I love this quilt. You are so right about not looking at those scrapbooks. I don't make them anymore either, just for that reason, but you will look at this quilt often and relive all those wonderful memories. I like the picture and you and your hubby kissing at the top of the tower. How fitting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! I'm going to incorporate it into a cat quilt, with photos of all of our fur-kids. It may take a while because my photo manipulation skills aren't too hot, but it's worth perfecting them to be able to make a quilt like this! Thanks for lighting my fire!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm usually not that crazy about photo quilts, but I love what you have done with this one. It's unique, full of little details evocative of Paris- really nice!

    ReplyDelete