So, along with the coming of the snows, I was granted a few days off of work. Some unexpectedly and others quite obvious. Last Friday there was a magical dusting of snow that seems to only stick to the grass and natural areas. The roads had been warmed by the sun and so as it fell, it seemed to just melt away. But, the forecast was not good, so I had the day off of work. I decided that after finishing my last piece, I should clean up a bit. That lasted about 2 minutes and once I saw the pile of scraps that were on my table. I was immediately distracted and began moving them around and rearranging them. I decided to start putting them up on my design wall and within a relatively short period of time, I had this piece loosely pinned to the foam board.
17 3/4 " X 17 3/4 "
The scraps were already pieced together in some cases and the other parts were all in the same pile of leftovers. I have been looking at the abstract style of cruciform paintings and pinning them on Pinterest as a kind of brain exercise. With no reference to anything whatsoever during the process of this piece, I made this cruciform. I was going to name if table scraps, but decided that "Spring Snow" was perhaps more appropriate, since that was the event that allowed this to take shape.
The scraps are raw edge qppliqued in place using straight line machine quilting. Rather than complicate the piece with elaborate or free motion work, I thought the form should follow function of stitching in place. I think it's a good first attempt at a cruciform. I plan to try some more using paper. We'll see how that works out.
Now, for the second storm. A nor'easter. This storm was well forecasted and much anticipated. If you weren't prepared, it wasn't because it was a surprise. I got an early call of school closing and once again, took a look at my table for inspiration. I collected some of each of the fabrics I used in my "Bridges" piece. and added some mistyfuse to the back. I like it better than wonderunder. It seems to hold better and tolerate my acrylic mediums and paints more easily. I named this series "Nor'easter". It looks like the circling radar and has the white swirls and shades of blue that drifts of snow seem to produce in varying light. I might be taking some liberty here, but it's art - so let's not take ourselves too seriously.
12" x 12" mounted on gallery canvas
I've done this type of work before and it's a nice change from using the sewing machine. I fused the fabric arcs down on some cotton batik. Then I trimmed the squares to 6" x 6". I attached them with matte medium to the canvas that I had prepared with some dark teal paint to that if there were any gaps, they'd be colored. I also prepainted the sides of the canvas.
Once the matte medium dried, I used paint markers, Lumiere metallic paints, Golden acrylics and various stamping tools to add marks to each quandrant. It's busy but the added pattern helps hold the piece together.
Once I was cutting, I was on a roll. So, I made extra squares and mounted them on 6" x 6" pieces of 1/2 inch birch board that I got from Home Depot. I bought a large 2' X 4" piece and then used a table saw to cut them down. I also sanded and gessoed the boardsbefore I prepainted the edges and back.
Here they are. I think they'd hang nicely as a separated group to show the circle or in a row or column.
With all of these sealed with UV protective sealer and ready to hang, I'm on to the next endeavor. Not sure what that will be. However, I am taking advantage of the snow to do a bit of snow dying. Trying some new combinations and overdying some pieces that were okay in my stash but weren't really special in any way. They're on the rack and I'll keeep you posted on how they are used.
Thanks for checking out the blog. Feel free to leave a comment or question. In the meantime, stay warm and enjoy the view.